[Opendnssec-user] Error converting from 1.4.14 to 2.1.8

Havard Eidnes he at uninett.no
Tue Mar 16 21:23:33 UTC 2021

Hi,

following up to my own message:

> However...  I did find a point of correlation: if I try to run
> with the Signer's WorkerThreads set to 4, it fails as above.  If
> I set it to 1, lo and behold, it works just fine:
> Do note, we are currently using sqlite3 for the SoftHSM2
> back-end, and I've also upgraded SoftHSM2 to 2.6.1.
>
> Is this a case of
>
> "Doctor, doctor, it hurts when i press my finger here!"
> "Don't do that, then!"
>
> ??

This appears to indeed be the case, at least in our case.

We have re-run the conversion from OpenDNSSEC 1.4.14 to 2.8.1,
this time with "file" as the softhsm2 backend.

The first thing we noticed was that the "ods-migrate" process
step which used to take 1h 40m CPU time with sqlite3 as the
softhsm2 backend now finished after around 20m CPU time.

We decided to again make an attempt with WorkerThreads bumped up
from 1 to 4, and started OpenDNSSEC2.  And as near as I can tell,
it now works as it should: the signer had a phase shortly after
OpenDNSSEC started where 4 threads were simultaneously active on
the CPUs, there were not really any unexplainable CRITICAL log
messages (save one, and that zone got signed shortly thereafter,
so is probably OK too), and there were several STATS messages
logged indicating that zones had been signed.

> Does SoftHSM2 with an sqlite3 backend allow for simultaneous
> access from multiple worker thereads in the signer?

The answer for us appears to be "no".

Regards,

- Håvard