[Opendnssec-user] softhsm corruption

Patrik Wallström patrik.wallstrom at iis.se
Fri Feb 20 08:26:06 UTC 2015

On 19 Feb 2015, at 22:30, Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A few nights ago my ods server signaled a problem. The enforcer was no
> longer running.
>
> Investigation showed that the softhsm database seemed to have gotten
> corrupted:
>
> [root at ns0 ]# ods-hsmutil list
> hsm_get_slot_id(): could not find token with the name OpenDNSSEC
>
> Does anyone have a howto on how to attempt to restore/fix /var/softhsm/slot0.db ?
>
> I'm not sure what caused this. The disk was not full and still has 1Gb
> of free space.

You didn’t have a backup?

The files are sqlite3 database files. Searching the net on how to recover from a corrupt sqlite3 database gives you advice such as it might be corrupted indices, but the content might be restored in a new database using

sqlite3 slot0.db ".dump” | sqlite3 newslot0.db

The resulting file might still contain errors though.

I also found some code called Undark:
http://pldaniels.com/undark/

Never tried it.