[Opendnssec-user] About High Availablity for OpenDNSSEC

Sebastian Castro sebastian at nzrs.net.nz
Mon Aug 25 04:20:50 UTC 2014

On 25/08/14 2:33 pm, gaolei wrote:
> Hi,Emil

Hi GaoLei:

> From the previous thread discussion in
> http://lists.opendnssec.org/pipermail/opendnssec-user/2014-June/003024.html ,
> I notice the idea is like this :
> 1. the master runs enforcer and signer
> 2. the slave runs signer only
> 3. sync conf files from master to slave
> 4. if master is down , run enforcer on slave immediately
>
> We plan to do like this :
>
> 1.Two opendnssec instances employed
> 2.The same HSM cluster serves for keys production
> 3.The same Mysql cluster serves for key data storage
>
> I wonder if enforcer runs on both nodes,what will happen ? Does the
> enforcer on slave have to be stopped?

Because the enforcer takes care of executing the policy for a zone,
changes will be made to the KASP when there are events like NSEC3 salt
refresh, key rollovers, etc.

We (.nz Registry Services) have a setup with two signers, and at any
given time, one of the signers is the "active" signers, meaning the
enforcer is allowed to run. If the active signer dies, a flag is
switched to indicate the other signers is now active, and we run the
enforcer only via crontab once a day on business day. In that way we
keep all the changes to state under control.

Cheers,