[Opendnssec-user] ods 1.3.5

Miek Gieben miek.gieben at sidn.nl
Fri Oct 12 09:40:22 UTC 2012

[ Quoting Jerry Lundström at 11:33 on October 12 in "Re: [Opendnssec-user] ods 1.3.5"... ]
> > it takes to resign the nl zone keep increasing until we restart ods. Clearly
> > visible in the drops in the graph.
>
> Thanks for the visualization, its really good.
>
> Altho I would like the raw syslog data that I requested from you a few months
> ago :) so we can verify that you really do restart at each of the drops. I've
> seen other data about this (.SE) and it is not clear that a drop is an effect of
> a restart every time.

Well, Matthijs was here a few weeks ago. Maybe you should come too? The good
news is that we now also see this behavior in our test setup, which means we
can beat the sh*t out of ods without impacting production.

> This sounds like normal Signer operations for that size of a zone and usage.
>
> The memory increase you see after startup is because the zone gets reread and
> new/delete records are allocated and after its all read it adds them to the
> zone structure. This will fragment the memory a lot and that makes the Signer
> take up more memory after a while.
>
> > Also weird is that all this memory is in the resident set, i.e. all memory
> > allocated is in active use (somehow).
>
> Its because its "walked upon" every sign.

I think this is somehow the core of the "bug". This keeps increasing and
increasing. Maybe it is related to the signature validity period? I.e. it
keeps increasing for 4 weeks and then it stabilizes, because finally some
signatures can be thrown of this list...?

    Miek Gieben

SIDN, Meander 501, PO Box 5022, 6802 EA Arnhem, The Netherlands
miek.gieben at sidn.nl                         http://www.sidn.nl/