[Opendnssec-user] ods 1.3.5

Jerry Lundström jerry at opendnssec.org
Fri Oct 12 09:33:29 UTC 2012

Hi Miek,

On Oct 12, 2012, at 11:10 , Miek Gieben wrote:

> We are debugging an issue we are seeing with our opendnssec setup. As
> you can see here: http://www.monshouwer.eu/dnssec-nl-graph/, the time
> it takes to resign the nl zone keep increasing until we restart ods. Clearly
> visible in the drops in the graph.

Thanks for the visualization, its really good.

Altho I would like the raw syslog data that I requested from you a few months ago :) so we can verify that you really do restart at each of the drops. I've seen other data about this (.SE) and it is not clear that a drop is an effect of a restart every time.

> We're suspecting some kind of memory leak or at least that ods-signerd
> keeps enormous amounts of memory around. When profiling with atop, we
> gathered that ods-signerd claims 8+GB on startup. We further see extra
> allocations in the range of 64M (this memory isn't returned to the OS).
> Also once in a while another large chunk of memory is allocated (4G).
> Resulting in a memory use of around 15G. This isn't a problem per se, but
> our gut feeling is, that ods-signerd does "something" with this memory which
> takes up the extra time. Note the text version of the NL zone is about 700 MB.

This sounds like normal Signer operations for that size of a zone and usage.

The memory increase you see after startup is because the zone gets reread and new/delete records are allocated and after its all read it adds them to the zone structure. This will fragment the memory a lot and that makes the Signer take up more memory after a while.

> Also weird is that all this memory is in the resident set, i.e. all memory
> allocated is in active use (somehow).

Its because its "walked upon" every sign.

> And one other thing. It seems ods-signerd does not close it's file
> descriptors when daemonizing.

We have done a few fixes, along with closing all file descriptors when executing external command, but I'm unsure if they made it into 1.3. We need to look into that.

--
Jerry Lundström - OpenDNSSEC Developer
http://www.opendnssec.org/