[Opendnssec-user] ods 1.3.5

Miek Gieben miek.gieben at sidn.nl
Fri Oct 12 09:10:38 UTC 2012

 Hello,

We are debugging an issue we are seeing with our opendnssec setup. As
you can see here: http://www.monshouwer.eu/dnssec-nl-graph/, the time
it takes to resign the nl zone keep increasing until we restart ods. Clearly
visible in the drops in the graph.

We're suspecting some kind of memory leak or at least that ods-signerd
keeps enormous amounts of memory around. When profiling with atop, we
gathered that ods-signerd claims 8+GB on startup. We further see extra
allocations in the range of 64M (this memory isn't returned to the OS).
Also once in a while another large chunk of memory is allocated (4G).
Resulting in a memory use of around 15G. This isn't a problem per se, but
our gut feeling is, that ods-signerd does "something" with this memory which
takes up the extra time. Note the text version of the NL zone is about 700 MB.

Also weird is that all this memory is in the resident set, i.e. all memory
allocated is in active use (somehow).

And one other thing. It seems ods-signerd does not close it's file
descriptors when daemonizing.

    Miek Gieben

SIDN, Meander 501, PO Box 5022, 6802 EA Arnhem, The Netherlands
miek.gieben at sidn.nl                         http://www.sidn.nl/