[Opendnssec-user] Case sensitivety of zones.

Fred Zwarts (KVI) F.Zwarts at KVI.nl
Fri Jun 15 12:55:48 UTC 2012

We run OpenDNSSEC 1.4.0a1. I noticed that there are inconsistencies with
respect to the case-sensitivety of zones in the various commands.
E.g.:

$ ods-ksmutil rollover list -v --zone KVI.nl
SQLite database set to: /var/opendnssec/kasp.db
Rollovers:
Zone:                           Keytype:      Rollover expected:
KVI.nl                          KSK           2013-05-23 17:08:16
KVI.nl                          ZSK           2012-08-22 13:14:04

$ ods-ksmutil rollover list -v --zone kvi.nl
SQLite database set to: /var/opendnssec/kasp.db
Error: unable to find a zone named "kvi.nl." in database

Here the command seems to be case sensitive: KVI.nl has a result different
from kvi.nl.
But:

$ ods-ksmutil zone list --zone kvi.nl
zonelist filename set to /etc/opendnssec/zonelist.xml.
Found Zone: KVI.nl; on policy SIDN

$ ods-ksmutil zone list --zone KVI.nl
zonelist filename set to /etc/opendnssec/zonelist.xml.
Found Zone: KVI.nl; on policy SIDN

Here the command seems to be not case sensitive. KVI.nl and kvi.nl have the
same result.

Is there some reason behind this? I know that for DNS domains are not case
sensitive, so I expected zones to be not case sensitive either. The zone
list command is able to get the original case, independently of the case of
the zone in the command, so I wonder why the other commands are case
sensitive.

Fred.Zwarts.