[Opendnssec-user] HSM and SoftHSM Co-existence

B C brettlists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 11:02:35 UTC 2010

Has anybody managed to get softhsm and a real HSM to co-exist on the same
machine?
We have a Centos5 based machine which is using a Sun SCA6000 HSM (and the
Sun Drivers/Modules) perfectly well to sign a zone, a similar machine has
softhsm 1.2.1 and the latest stable version of Botan (1.8.8) and also
performs without any issues. However when I install softhsm and Botan on the
server with the Sun SCA6000 card any interaction with the HSM hangs, for
example if I run "ods-hsmutil list" the command hangs never to return and
cannot be killed (even with a -9). After some investigation it seems that
this behaviour starts as soon as Botan is installed (without softHSM) so I'm
guessing Botan is causing the SCA6000 drivers/modules to fail somehow. Any
ideas or previous experience in this area greatly appreciated.

Brett