[Opendnssec-user] End-of-life OpenDNSSEC 1.3 on 2017-07-11

Berry A.W. van Halderen berry at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Jul 14 07:56:23 UTC 2016

On 07/11/2016 04:40 PM, Wytze van der Raay wrote:
> On 07/11/2016 03:52 PM, Berry A.W. van Halderen wrote:
>> We will end the support on OpenDNSSEC 1.3 in accordance with our policy
>> in one year from now.  This historic release has long been replaced by
>> most of not all so we regard this notice to be mostly a formal message
>> for most of you.
> Most perhaps, but definitely not all -- CAcert.org is still running the
> 1.3.18 (LTS) release, as it is mostly doing what we need (migration to
> newer algorithms would be nice though :-)).

We do not maintain a list of who is running what, sometimes difficult to
tell what wording to use.  In any case, 1.3 has two newer alternatives
that are much better maintained.

> I noticed a MIGRATION document in the 2.0 release kit, but it only talks
> about migrating from 1.4 to 2.0. Can you also provide instructions for
> migrating from 1.3.18 to 2.0?

In order to provide the most tested and predictable migration, it is
advisable to perform the migration steps from 1.3 to 1.4 first, and then
perform the migration to 2.0.  If we make separate migration scripts for
each of the alternatives, this will not only involve more work for us,
but more important for the users, make the migration actually less
tested.

You can however do the migration pretty simple, as you can just grap
the latest 1.4 release (1.4.10).  The instructions in the migration
can just migrate you to the latest 1.4, by starting at the instructions
from 1.3 to 1.4/trunk (see the included MIGRATION file in the
distribution).  You do not need to start OpenDNSSEC in any of the in
between steps.  And without actually starting you can then grab
the 2.0 release and migrate to it.  This ought to work.  The 2.0
has a completely revised database schema.

It is actually only a few steps still, a direct migration from 1.3 to
2.0 would not be that much shorter.

With kind regards,
Berry van Halderen