[Opendnssec-user] dendency wrong in ubuntu packages

Bas van den Dikkenberg bas at Dikkenberg.net
Tue Dec 13 16:33:52 UTC 2016

I also found a another issue the name of the init script is to long see:

root at myserver:~# /etc/init.d/opendnssec-enforcer restart
 * Restarting OpenDNSSEC Enforcer opendnssec-enforcer                                                                                                                                                                                        start-stop-daemon: warning: this system is not able to track process names
longer than 15 characters, please use --exec instead of --name.

would be an idea to rename te init script ods-enforcer en ods-signer just like the commands ?

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Opendnssec-user [mailto:opendnssec-user-bounces at lists.opendnssec.org] Namens Ondrej Surý
Verzonden: dinsdag 13 december 2016 17:12
Aan: opendnssec-user at lists.opendnssec.org
Onderwerp: Re: [Opendnssec-user] dendency wrong in ubuntu packages

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016, at 21:08, Yuri Schaeffer wrote:
> Hi Ondřej,
>
> > this has to be solved in OpenDNSSEC itself.
>
> Forgive me my ignorance but I always thought making sure mounts,
> network, services or other dependencies are available is _exactly_ the
> problem init systems are supposed to tackle. Is that not how it works?

networks, mounts are ok, but how you are going to make sure that a remote MySQL server is available from within a local init system?

> Is it unreasonable for OpenDNSSEC to require certain resources to be
> available before starting?

With remote MySQL you cannot be even sure that MySQL is available for a full run time of OpenDNSSEC, as there might be network breakages, database might disconnect you due to capacity reasons, etc., the server might be located after a HA proxy not handling TCP connection handovers.

So any software that rely on another networking server must be able to cope with unavailability of the networked service.

E.g. instead of failing to start when MySQL is not available, it should refuse to run the first operation in the queue until it is connected, etc.

Cheers,
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej at sury.org>
Knot DNS (https://www.knot-dns.cz/) – a high-performance DNS server Knot Resolver (https://www.knot-resolver.cz/) – secure, privacy-aware, fast DNS(SEC) resolver Vše pro chleba (https://vseprochleba.cz) – Mouky ze mlýna a potřeby pro pečení chleba všeho druhu _______________________________________________
Opendnssec-user at lists.opendnssec.org