[Opendnssec-user] Zone stuck, not updating

Havard Eidnes he at uninett.no
Fri Oct 31 08:04:44 UTC 2014

Hi,

a brief follow-up to this...

The problem isn't that the IXFR request is malformed per the DNS
protocol; the reason tcpdump doesn't decode the request correctly
is that the request is split over two different TCP datagrams.
It seems needlessly wasteful to send the first two bytes of the
DNS request in its own TCP datagram (the "push" TCP flag is set
on the two-byte TCP segment, even).

However, wireshark managed to "reassemble" the DNS request (I'm
suitably impressed!) and decode it.

It seems that the problem is that the SOA version number used in
the IXFR request is totally "off the wall"; I'm seeing
3180924024, which is way bigger than what's in the .xfrd-state
file (2014091709), but still "bigger" according to the serial
number arithmetic used for SOA version numbers.

So "of course" BIND just responds with the current SOA record in
its 1-record reply and times out the TCP connection after 30
seconds because no further requests are received from OpenDNSSEC.

More code reading is needed to find out why OpenDNSSEC messes up
the version number in the IXFR request.  It seems the same SOA
version number is used in the immediately preceding UDP-based
IXFR request, so at least it's consistent...

Regards,

- Håvard