[Opendnssec-user] Backup/restore information

Jerry Lundström jerry at opendnssec.org
Mon Apr 2 12:14:31 UTC 2012

Hi Fred,

On Apr 2, 2012, at 13:56 , Fred Zwarts (KVI) wrote:

>> Here is what I do:
>
>> ods-ksmutil backup prepare
>> sqlite3 /var/lib/softhsm/slot0.db .dump | gzip | mygpg > $shsmfile
>> mysqldump -u opendnssec opendnssec | gzip | mygpg > $kaspfile
>> invoke-system-backup
>> ods-ksmutil backup commit
>
> I assume that $shsmfile and $kaspfile are stored on a safe place and contain all the information needed to restore the SoftHSM and OpenDNSsec state. They are probably included in your system backup.
>
> I am not familiar with mysql or sqlite. What are the commands needed to restore the state from these two safe files?
> Have you verified that it is sufficient to restore your zones and keys from these two files (and the unsigned zone files, of course)?

There isn't any guide to backup and restore but there are some documentation about the backups for each software.
OpenDNSSEC - https://wiki.opendnssec.org/display/DOCS/Key+Management#KeyManagement-Markingkeysasbackedup
SoftHSM - https://wiki.opendnssec.org/display/SoftHSMDOCS/SoftHSM+Documentation+Home#SoftHSMDocumentationHome-Backup

If your running MySQL there should be plenty of documentation on how to backup/restore on mysql.com or if your running SQLite it's basically just a database in a file so you could .dump it or copy it.

If you want to keep state in the backup the best bet is to shutdown OpenDNSSEC and copy everything in /etc/opendnssec and /var/opendnssec (or /var/lib/opendnssec, depending on your installation).

/Jerry

--
Jerry Lundström - OpenDNSSEC Developer
http://www.opendnssec.org/