[Opendnssec-user] SoftHSM question

Rickard Bellgrim rickard.bellgrim at iis.se
Tue Jun 8 10:56:39 UTC 2010

>   pkcs11-tool --module /usr/local/lib/libsofthsm.so --slot 4 -l -p 1234
>   -k --id A1B2 --key-type rsa:1024
>
>> Private Key Object; RSA
>>  label:
>>  ID:         a1b2
>>  Usage:      decrypt, sign, unwrap
>> Public Key Object; RSA 1024 bits
>>  label:
>>  ID:         a1b2
>>  Usage:      encrypt, verify, wrap

pkcs11-tool set the public key to a session object, which means that it is removed when the tool closes the session.

> Now this all looks good, but when I look at the file  kPair4B2.p8, it contains
> only a private key.

When I export the key pair, I only look in the private key object. Because it contains both the private and public key. And when you save the pkcs#8 file, you only save the private key. It contains both the private and public key.

> Also, if I check with
>
>    pkcs11-tool --module /usr/local/lib/libsofthsm.so --slot 4 -l -p 1234 -O
>
> I only see the private key:
>
>> Private Key Object; RSA
>>  label:
>>  ID:         a1b2
>>  Usage:      decrypt, sign, unwrap
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

This is because pkcs11-tool only save the private key and not the public key.

> Another question is whether anyone has tried to use SoftHSM from Mozilla Firefox?  Is it possible to store a certificate on SoftHSM (I verified that C_CreateObject is there) and are there any issues with non standard pkcs11 behavior by NSS that you know of?

There is a patch in our ticket system for certificate support. Version 2.0 after this summer will have support for certificates.