[Opendnssec-user] Deprecating pid-files?

Ondřej Surý ondrej at sury.org
Wed Aug 25 12:26:04 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 14:16, Rick van Rein <rick at openfortress.nl> wrote:
> Hi Ondrej,
>
>> Debian uses following snippet to stop the daemons:
>>
>>         start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --retry=TERM/30/KILL/5
>> --pidfile $PIDFILE
>
> So... what you are saying to retain PID-files is that there are OS variants
> that can make good use of PID files, and that anything else would make
> you resort to non-standard init.d structures?

I wouldn't say there are standard and non-standard init.d structures
(f.e. nsd3 just uses nsdc), and I would cope without pidfiles.

But I don't see any strong argument for removing them, and they come
handy if the control channel is dead. You still need to handle the
signals and die gracefully on TERM signal and logging pidfile doesn't
seem to be a great deal to me.

> Guys, that sounds like a reason to retain PIDfile to me.  And just add
> the communications channel as well.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej at sury.org>