[Opendnssec-maintainers] Re: [Opendnssec-user] Warning to all EPEL 6 users (Red Hat / Fedora / CentOS etc) (fwd)

Paul Wouters pwouters at redhat.com
Sun Jul 15 21:28:15 UTC 2012

On 07/13/2012 10:16 AM, Sara Dickinson wrote:

> Ondřej, Paul - thanks for the input. I can see there can be genuine technical issues with a removal too.
>
> So, given that we are where we are, how about a warning along the lines of:
>
> "The 1.4.0a1 release of OpenDNSSEC is included for testing purposes only. It should NOT be installed in production environments.
>
> Please see http://www.opendnssec.org/download/ for the latest stable release."

I would personally say "not recommended for" versus "should NOT be
used". It's opensource software, which should make recommendations to it
users, but not try and dictate to its users. Something like "We strongly
recommend this release is not used in production".

As a side note, if you want people to test an alpha version, you should
really give them an upgrade path to the final release. No one outside
the core dev team will try alpha/beta releases unless they have a
practical need (it resolves a problem for them) and then they're stuck
in that migration path. Those are also the people that will give you
more real life feedback.

My experience as openswan upstream in the last 10 years has been that
prereleases are almost completely ignored by everyone. Openswan does
"DR" (developer release) and "RC" (Release Candidate) versions, but
those have rarely received feedback outside the core developers, who
often run git head anyway, or people who need it because of an important
fix more recent then the latest full release.

Paul