[Opendnssec-maintainers] Re: [Opendnssec-user] Warning to all EPEL 6 users (Red Hat / Fedora / CentOS etc) (fwd)

Sara Dickinson sara at sinodun.com
Fri Jul 13 14:16:46 UTC 2012

On 13 Jul 2012, at 08:44, Ondřej Surý wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Paul Wouters <pwouters at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I'd say the best way forward is to keep a very close eye on 1.4.x alpha
>> in Fedora/EPEL and move it to a stable 1.4.0 release when we can. I
>> could add some documentation to the description of the package that warns
>> people this is alpha code and that they might want to use 1.3.x instead.
>
> Again with my (Debian) maintainer hat ON: I would agree with adding big fat
> warning about the version in EPEL being alpha to package description and
> leave it be.
>
> Much less collateral damage than downgrading (database changes) or removing
> (people who already installed will be left in the open).
>
> O.
> --
> Ondřej Surý <ondrej at sury.org>

Ondřej, Paul - thanks for the input. I can see there can be genuine technical issues with a removal too.

So, given that we are where we are, how about a warning along the lines of:

"The 1.4.0a1 release of OpenDNSSEC is included for testing purposes only. It should NOT be installed in production environments.

Please see http://www.opendnssec.org/download/ for the latest stable release."

Sara.