[Opendnssec-maintainers] Packaging next generation Enforcer with different database backends

Ondřej Surý ondrej at sury.org
Wed Feb 1 14:49:33 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 15:37, Jerry Lundström <jerry at opendnssec.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In our new Enforcer we will have the possibility to have different database backends compiled in at the same time or selected with configure.
>
> We would like your feedback on this as package maintainers, what you would like and maybe how other software handle this.
>
> If its selected at configure time we would have different packages depending on what database backend the user whats to use (opendnssec-enforcer-sqlite | opendnssec-enforcer-mysql). I know this can be a bit of a problem on some distributions since their package management software does not allow the package to ask questions.

That's the way Debian package is currently compiled.

> If we go by compiling in all the different supported backends we would just have one package but that package would have a lot more dependencies, for all the different backends. Today its just SQLite and MySQL but there may be more in the future, and even if libmysqlclient is relative small the question still arises -"Why install something you don't use?".

Ideally this would create plugins (.so) which can be dlopen()ed at
runtime and you will not have to install all possible libraries.

Or just keep the posibility to compile just one backend at the time
and I'll handle that in my packaging scripts.

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej at sury.org>