[Opendnssec-maintainers] Packaging next generation Enforcer with different database backends

Jerry Lundström jerry at opendnssec.org
Wed Feb 1 14:37:27 UTC 2012

Hi,

In our new Enforcer we will have the possibility to have different database backends compiled in at the same time or selected with configure.

We would like your feedback on this as package maintainers, what you would like and maybe how other software handle this.

If its selected at configure time we would have different packages depending on what database backend the user whats to use (opendnssec-enforcer-sqlite | opendnssec-enforcer-mysql). I know this can be a bit of a problem on some distributions since their package management software does not allow the package to ask questions.

If we go by compiling in all the different supported backends we would just have one package but that package would have a lot more dependencies, for all the different backends. Today its just SQLite and MySQL but there may be more in the future, and even if libmysqlclient is relative small the question still arises -"Why install something you don't use?".

Cheers,
Jerry

--
Jerry Lundström - OpenDNSSEC Developer