[Opendnssec-develop] Performance benchmarks

Roland van Rijswijk - Deij Roland.vanRijswijk at surfnet.nl
Mon Jan 7 10:16:41 UTC 2013

Hi Sara,

Sara Dickinson wrote:
>> This only affects the Signer and what is interesting to benchmark here
>> is memory usage and not signing since that is almost fully depended on
>> the HSM used.
>
> Does anyone know where he HSM's we have installed (SafeNet Luna SA 4)
> fall in the range of HSM's available? Does it at least give us a correct
> order of magnitude for timings?

If used locally (i.e. the HSM is in the same network as the box using
it), the performance is in the order of magnitude of about 4000 RSA 1024
signatures per second.

I'm planning to go to the location where the HSM is housed to
reinitialise it somewhere this month but haven't set the date yet. Once
that's done, you can use SafeNet's benchmark tools on it from the test box.

BTW: Jerry, can you create an account for me on the test box and e-mail
me the password via GPG encrypted mail? Preferably with sudo rights so I
can install the HSM middleware.

Cheers,

Roland

--