[Opendnssec-develop] Dependencies & stock distributions

Rickard Bellgrim rickard.bellgrim at iis.se
Mon Dec 14 12:48:45 UTC 2009

> ldns
> ruby
> dnsruby
> rubygems
> 4SuiteXML (required by rubygems, I think)
> sqlite
> botan

I can use the packages ruby 1.8.6, sqlite 3.4.2, rubygems 0.9.4, and python-4suite-xml 1.0.2 from Ubuntu 8.0.4.

> If I wanted to build from source, I also had to upgrade:
>
> autoconf
> automake
> m4

I can use the packages autoconf 2.61, automake 1.10.1, and m4 1.4.10 from Ubuntu 8.0.4

(Everyone needs these in order to build from trunk. This applies to many open source projects.)

> I'd say the following dependencies should be packaged:
>
> ldns (NLnet Labs also does this for unbound)
> dnsruby
> botan

Yes, they will be whenever a package maintainer decides to package OpenDNSSEC.

> In my opinion, the following dependencies should work with the
> OS-provided packages:
>
> sqlite
> ruby

Yes, they should.

> > .SE are running on Ubuntu 8.0.4, so we need to maintain our own
> package
> > repository to lower the workload on the system administrators. And
> that
> > is what you have to do in order to run new software on an old OS.
>
> We would be running the latest release of RHEL; I would not classify
> that as an old OS, rather as a stable OS. Ideally, it should not be
> necessary to maintain other packages in addition to OpenDNSSEC in order
> to be able to run OpenDNSSEC...

My conclusion for Ubuntu 8.0.4 is that I have to build from source for ldns, dnsruby, and botan. What versions of the other software do you have in RHEL as a RPM?

Could you add some notes on RHEL to our wiki?