[Opendnssec-develop] Dependencies & stock distributions

Roland van Rijswijk roland.vanrijswijk at surfnet.nl
Mon Dec 14 12:24:26 UTC 2009

Hi Rickard,

Rickard Bellgrim wrote:
> I think we require the latest versions (or almost latest versions) of
> dnsruby, ldns, and botan. These are the fundamental libraries that we
> use in OpenDNSSEC. We have found bugs in them that were critical to fix.

If I remember correctly I had to upgrade or install the following packages:

ldns
ruby
dnsruby
rubygems
4SuiteXML (required by rubygems, I think)
sqlite
botan

If I wanted to build from source, I also had to upgrade:

autoconf
automake
m4

That's quite a lot of work that has to be done before I could even get
started with OpenDNSSEC, and quite a lot of dependencies to maintain by
hand rather than relying on the updates from the distro...

> You could also argue that OpenDNSSEC isn't packaged for RHEL, but when
> it is packaged then our dependencies also would get packaged. For now,
> we could add some more install notes for each OS on
> http://trac.opendnssec.org/wiki/Signer/Using/Installation/Dependencies

I'd say the following dependencies should be packaged:

ldns (NLnet Labs also does this for unbound)
dnsruby
botan

In my opinion, the following dependencies should work with the
OS-provided packages:

sqlite
ruby

> .SE are running on Ubuntu 8.0.4, so we need to maintain our own package
> repository to lower the workload on the system administrators. And that
> is what you have to do in order to run new software on an old OS.

We would be running the latest release of RHEL; I would not classify
that as an old OS, rather as a stable OS. Ideally, it should not be
necessary to maintain other packages in addition to OpenDNSSEC in order
to be able to run OpenDNSSEC...

Cheers,

Roland

--