[Softhsm-develop] SoftHSM v2 not able to configure multiple slots?

Rickard Bellgrim rickard at opendnssec.org
Mon Oct 6 19:12:36 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 7:30 AM, Jerry Lundström <jerry.lundstrom at iis.se>
wrote:

> On sön, 2014-10-05 at 21:10 +0200, Rickard Bellgrim wrote:
> > The slots are allocated dynamically. The configuration only handle the
> > location where the tokens will be stored.
>
> Ok, thanks for the information. It helped solve some of the tests I had
> problems with.
>
> Side note; Seems like slots can only be initialized in sequentially (0,
> 1, 2, 3...), is v2 suppose to not allow non sequential slots
> initialization?

Correct, just sequentially. You can use the PKCS#11 function calls to find
the first uninitialized slot. There is however a potential feature request
in https://issues.opendnssec.org/browse/SOFTHSM-100 to initialize the first
free slot when using the softhsm tool.

You normally never use the PKCS#11 interface to initialize a token in e.g.
a SafeNet HSM. You use the administrative interface. Because you also need
to setup other credentials than the SO and User PIN.