[Opendnssec-user] How can OpenDNSSEC be configured in compliance with RFC9276?

Stefan Ubbink Stefan.Ubbink at sidn.nl
Wed Sep 7 05:26:25 UTC 2022

Hello,

We want to configure OpenDNSSEC to comply with RFC9276 (Guidance for
NSEC3 Parameter Settings) and some parts of this RFC are very easy, but I cannot get the salt to be empty ('-') as described in section 3.1
With the following settings in the kasp.xml

<Denial>
    <NSEC3>
        <Resalt>P90D</Resalt>
        <Hash>
            <Algorithm>1</Algorithm>
            <Iterations>0</Iterations>
            <Salt length="0">-</Salt>
        </Hash>
    </NSEC3>
</Denial>

Results in the following NSEC3PARAM record:

NSEC3PARAM 1 0 0 DAFDC9C1B52486F5

I also tried to remove the Salt element, but that results in an invalid
configuration as described in /usr/share/opendnssec/kasp.rng .

How can I change the configuration to get an empty salt?

--
Stefan Ubbink
DNS & Systems Engineer