[Opendnssec-user] Change DS algorithm type

Dennis Baaten dennis at baaten.com
Tue Feb 2 19:07:55 UTC 2021

Hi Berry,

Thnx for explaining. So it is not the <NSEC3> section in kasp.xml. However,
it is still unclear to me how to change the hashing algorithm used for the
DS record. I don't see anything for that in the ODS config files. I'm also
not aware of forcing the use of SHA-1 since you state that ODS only does
this when explicitly requested. If I export the DS using " ods-enforcer key
export --zone baaten.com --keystate active --keytype ksk --ds" the output
states "active KSK DS record (SHA256)" and the exported hash is 64 hex
characters long, which is the correct length (a SHA-1 hash would be 40 hex
characters long).

Since I'm using TransIP as a hosting provider, I have to submit the public
key of my KSK in the TransIP control panel which is then submitted to the
parent zone. This is documented here
(https://www.transip.nl/knowledgebase/artikel/150-domeinnaam-nameservers-geb
ruikt-beveiligen-dnssec/) in Dutch. There is no option to also submit the DS
hash from the ods-enforcer export command.

> The hashing used for NSEC3 does not need to be so precise.  You cannot
> create a false hash as the NSEC3 records themselves are signed.  The
> only reason for hashing it to avoid easy zone walking (ie. retrieve all
> names from a zone).  You can only make this a bit harder with other
> hashing algorithms at great expense of all.  So basically not worth it
> and never done.
>
> > Last but not least: any thoughts on how to perform this algorithm
rollover?

> Algoritm rollovers are another thing.  This is the algorithm used by the
KSK
> itself to sign the DNSKEY set.  The answer is simple.  Just update the
> Algorithm of the KSK or ZSK in the kasp.xml and reread this policy file
> using "ods-enforcer policy import".  The next rollover will be an
algorithm
> rollover.

Nice that this is supported in ODS. Makes it easy.