[Opendnssec-user] disable DNSSEC

Emil Natan shlyoko at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 17:40:45 UTC 2018

With OpenDNSSEC you have two (zone)files. One is the unsigned zonefile
which has the non-DNSSEC records (SOA, NS, A, MX etc) and you manage these
manually using editor. The other one is the signed zonefile which has the
non-DNSSEC records coming from the unsigned zonefile and DNSSEC records
(DNSKEY, RRSIGs, NSEC/NSEC3) which are created by OpenDNSSEC. When your
authoritative DNS servers serves a domain, it uses a zonefile to read the
records from. It could be the unsigned zonefile or the signed zonefile, but
not both.

Removing the DS from the parent domain will make your domain insecure, even
if you continue to serve the signed zonefile, resolvers won't be able to
validate the responses for your domain. While still serving the signed
zonefile, your DNS server will still respond with DNSSEC signatures
(generating more traffic), they just won't be used by the resolvers. If you
decide to go insecure, then better change the domain configuration on your
DNS server to use the unsigned zonefile.

Maybe if you want to share the name of the domain in question, I can look
it up and advise you better. And I'm not sure how do you want your final
configuration for the domain. Do you want to stop using your hidden
master/signer? Do you want GoDaddy to provide DNS service for your domain
(in addition to DNSMadeEasy)?

Emil