[Opendnssec-user] SoftHSM C_GetMechanismInfo question

Dave Fine finerrecliner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 21:57:11 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have a question regarding something I saw in C_GetMechanismInfo() in the
SoftHSMv2 code. In this function, I see that the min and max key sizes are
set to 0 for all of the SHA HMAC functions (see here:
https://github.com/opendnssec/SoftHSMv2/blob/develop/src/lib/SoftHSM.cpp#L857).
I find this odd, because the HMAC algorithm requires a key size greater
than zero to use properly. Is there a reason why the Mechanism Info key
size fields are not set to 20 for CKM_SHA_1_HMAC, 28 for CKM_SHA224_HMAC,
32 for CKM_SHA256_HMAC, etc ?

Thank you,
-Dave