[Opendnssec-user] OpenBSD porting questions regarding 2.x

Patrik Lundin patrik at sigterm.se
Tue Sep 6 16:16:06 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 05, 2016 at 02:08:13PM +0200, Berry A.W. van Halderen wrote:

> [...]

Thanks for taking the time to share information regarding the current
state off affairs :).

> > If the goal is to not have two places that may get out of sync, why not have
> > the signer fetch information directly from the database?
>
> The zones.xml solution is not holy.  And the current solution is very
> much under discussion.  There are some drawbacks.  The current signer
> does not need to know anything about the enforcer datastructures and
> operation.  Synchronization between enforcer and signer is explicit,
> so the enforcer 'tells' the signer when there are updates and the signer
> does not need to monitor for changes.
> Our database transactions can not be real simple, since there is only
> one process doing changes.
>
> It is possible to run signer and enforcer on different systems, without
> shared filesystem.  It is not unthinkable to make it possible to split
> the signing over multiple machines in future.

Just so I am following: is the above statement that it is possible to
run signer/enforcer on different machines without a shared filesystem
possible today? Or did you mean that it is possible given that the use
of a file for synchronization (zones.xml) is traded for some other
solution?

> > Finally, what is the appropriate thing to do with zones.xml on a fresh install?
> > I notice an error is thrown since it is missing (not created by
> > ods-enforcer-db-setup):
> > ===
> > Sep  4 12:31:22 obsd-amd64-t01 ods-signerd: [file] unable to stat file /var/opendnssec/enforcer/zones.xml: ods_fopen() failed
> > ===
> >
> > Is it standard operating procedure to get that error on a fresh install, and
> > then making the system happy with the addition of the first zone?
> >

> I think that is a proper procedure for now.  Maybe it would be better
> for the default "make install" to create the zones.xml?  I think
> most people still just ignore this message.  In many use cases the
> zonelist.xml (whether empty or not) is immediately imported and at
> this time the zones.xml is created.  For pure CLI use, a human will
> start with the first zone.  But it would be better that no warning
> was generated here in this case.

Thanks for the info. At this point I have a bunch of diffs against
2.0.1 (as well as some runtime observations). I feel it would be
good to discuss them prior to creating PRs since some may be
interesting for merging upstream while others wont. Is there a
suitable way for doing this? I could post on this this list but I am
afraid it would cause a bunch of uninteresting noice for other members.

--
Patrik Lundin