[Opendnssec-user] OpenBSD porting questions regarding 2.x

Berry A.W. van Halderen berry at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Sep 5 07:08:07 UTC 2016

On 09/04/2016 10:43 AM, Patrik Lundin wrote:
> I have recently started looking at upgrading the OpenBSD port of
> OpenDNSSEC to 2.x, currently 2.0.1.
>
> Some questions have turned up:
>
> * When compared to 1.4.10 I notice that the ods-getconf tool is missing,
>   and this is not mentioned in
>   https://www.opendnssec.org/2016/07/opendnssec-2-0-0/. I have not used
>   that tool myself, but just wondering if the omission is by design or a
>   mistake.

It was introduced int 1.4.6 but is a rather obscure command.  There are
more generic tools for it that are more appropriate.  It has been left
out more-or-less on purpose, but I would not call it by design.

> * When fixing errors/warnings in the build, what git branch should these
>   be merged against? There seems to be at least develop, master,
>   2.0/develop and 2.0/master to chose from.

develop and master are branches for current development, which will
become 2.1 probably.  This is much of a moving target, it is most
appropriate to make patches against it, but probably you should use
either 2.0/develop or 2.0/master for bugfix patches and
error/warnings.  Anything remotely looking like features or improvements
should go to plain develop branch.

In OpenDNSSEC, the biggest GIT model for development was chosen, which
includes develop and master for every version.  For maintenance
releases like 2.0/master/develop there is little difference between
them.  I would chose 2.0/develop.

With kind regards,
Berry van Halderen