[Opendnssec-user] moving zone from lab to default

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Thu Mar 31 07:36:47 UTC 2016

Hi

I have a opendnssec 1.4.6 setup with a KSK in a Yubikey NEO.

The Yubikey has limited space for keys, and the current p11 module doesn't
support key generation, so I have a single KSK in the Yubikey and a second
SoftHSM repository for ZSKs.

I created my first zone example.net in policy "lab" and imported the KSK in
the Yubikey like this:

ods-ksmutil key import --cka_id 01 --repository YubiKeyNEO4PIV  \
  --bits 2048 --algorithm 8 --keystate active --keytype KSK \
  --time 20260309 --zone example.net

A ods-ksmutil key list --verbose shows me this (date and CKA_ID shortened to
make it fit in e-mail):

Keys:
Zone:       Keytype: State: Date: Size: Alg: CKA_ID:    Repository:    Keytag:
example.net KSK      active 2026  2048  8    01         YubiKeyNEO4PIV 10369
example.net ZSK      active 2016  2048  8    85631b...2 SoftHSM        43338

When I was happy with it, I got my DS records published in the .net zone and
after that I wanted to move the zone to policy default. Turns out, keys are
secretly associated with policys for some reason, so opendnssec wanted to
generate a new KSK but failed since the YubikeyNEO4PIV repository doesn't
support key generation. I did not want to generate new KSKs.

How should one go about moving a zone from one policy to another? Don't tell
me how to do it in sqlite3, I've already figured that out ;).

/Fredrik