[Opendnssec-user] Dropping exec perms -- running daemons as == ods USER/GROUP, !root ?

PGNet Dev pgnet.dev at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 14:55:45 UTC 2016

On 12/22/2016 06:45 AM, Yuri Schaeffer wrote:
> I suggest this change though. (entire Service section)
>
>> 	[Unit]
>> 	Description=OpenDNSSEC v2 Signer daemon
>> 	After=syslog.target network-online.target
>>
>> 	[Service]
>> 	Type=simple
>> 	ExecStart=/usr/local/opendnssec/sbin/ods-signerd -d
>>
>> 	[Install]
>> 	WantedBy=multi-user.target

Nope, the .service will not 'release'.

I.e., exec'ing

systemctl start ods-signer

hangs, and does NOT return back to prompt. (here, at least)

Systemd doesn't support shell command lines.  They need to be explicitly
passed to a shell implementation, e.g. /bin/sh using

ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "..."

cref: https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd