[Opendnssec-user] Announcing availability public beta-release of OpenDNSSEC 2.0

Berry A.W. van Halderen berry at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Apr 14 14:01:39 UTC 2016

Dear OpenDNSSEC community,

Today we enter the final steps towards the 2.0 release by handing out
the first real beta.  The development is complete, testing has completed
and there are no bugs that would stop you replacing 1.4 with 2.0.

Download it here:
  https://dist.opendnssec.org/source/testing/opendnssec-2.0.0b1.tar.gz

The new version presents a complete re-write of the enforcer, adding
some features and guarantees to not let your zone go bogus even when
modifying critical parameters.

Instead of focusing on the new we would like to know whether your
current uses are met with this release.  This version is new and shiny,
has new things, but we have more in store.  This as soon as we can
finalize this new baseline version that marks the final transition of
OpenDNSSEC to the NLNET Labs supported open source software.

We hope that with your feedback we can make rapid cycles towards a
quick final release.  After the proper 2.0 release, we plan to have a
more incremental development schedule with several releases per year
with new features and bug fixes to prevent such a long cycle as 2.0 had.

Some heads-up when trying it out after being used to 1.4:
- Scripted migration from 1.4 to 2.0 is available, see MIGRATION file;
- Use command ods-enforcer-db-setup rather than "ods-ksmutil setup";
- Any other use of ods-ksmutil is replaced with the ods-enforcer
  command, which requires the enforcer daemon to be running;
- Use ods-enforcer zone add and delete rather than modifying the
  zonelist.xml file yourself.  This file is not kept up-to-date
  automatically anymore;
- to start using OpenDNSSEC, use ods-enforcer policy import instead
  of update kasp to update your policies;
- Getting started at:
  https://wiki.opendnssec.org/display/DOCS20/Quick+start+guide

Hope to hear from you,