[Opendnssec-user] Critical issue: CKR_OBJECT_HANDLE_INVALID after ZSK rollover

Berry A.W. van Halderen berry at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Apr 7 07:32:31 UTC 2016

On 04/07/2016 08:47 AM, Anne van Bemmelen wrote:
> Dear listmembers,
>
> During a regular enforcerd wake up a new ZSK was created, according to
> the regular scheme.
>
> Immediately after this wake up the critical issue
> ‘CKR_OBJECT_HANDLE_INVALID’ was logged, see below this message.
>
> Signing the involved zone wasn’t possible.
>
> Signing of other zones was not impacted.

We have seen this issue in 1.4 and 2.0, and are on the track of
solving this issue in those versions.  I am however surprised that
this issue also occurs on your Luna HSM.  The cases we have seen it
is where a key is created in the enforcer, but is not yet available
to the signer.  Your conclusion might be the HSM is slow to make
it available, but I won't go this far as also the signer does not
properly handle this.

I am not too familiar with the 1.3 branch, whether this is truely
the same issue.

With kind regards,
Berry van Halderen