[Opendnssec-user] DNSKEY set signed with KSK in retire state.

Antti Ristimäki antti.ristimaki at csc.fi
Thu Nov 19 17:05:19 UTC 2015

Hi,

----- Original Message -----

An RRset and its RRSIG propagate as an atomic entry in DNS caches and for DNSKEY RRset this means that a newly introduced KSK and the corresponding RRSIG will find their way into resolver caches at the same time. As such there is no need to pre-publish a new KSK DNSKEY until it can be used to sign the DNSKEY RRset. For ZSK this is not true for obvious reasons.

Regarding the retired KSK, the DNSKEY RRset must be signed with it as long as the old DS record corresponding to the retired KSK can be still present in caches.

Antti