[Opendnssec-user] resign interval PT0S

Emil Natan shlyoko at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 15:24:52 UTC 2015

Ok, I found what caused the frequent/unscheduled zone resign - the
information about next zone resign in the backup file. The kasp.xml and
signconf/<zone>.xml both have resign interval of 2 days
(<Resign>PT172800S</Resign>), but the backup file still held the old value
of 12 hours -
";;Signconf: lastmod 1425817523 maxzonettl 0 resign PT43200S refresh PT0S
...".
When I force zone resign the content of the backup file is updated, but the
resign value remained to the old value. I deleted the backup file multiple
times during the last few days, but it was always recreated like this. Now
I stopped both services to be on the safe side, removed the backup file,
started the services, forced resign and it now looks ok. What I think might
have happened is that when there is no unsigned file, the signer uses the
backup file to create a signed zone and it read the resign value from there
and then scheduled the next resign for 12 hours later.
After getting this one in order I tried setting the Resign value to 3 days
and this time it was updated accordingly in the backup file.

Final words - it's clear that the OpenDNSSEC designers have set high
priority on systems ability to satisfy the resigning cycle, but using all
means, the backup files in this case creates complexity and confusion in a
system which shall be simple and reliable. And disabling the automated
resign process can be a nice feature :-).

Thank you all.

Emil