[Opendnssec-user] signer: "assertion part->soamin failed"

Havard Eidnes he at uninett.no
Fri Dec 11 16:03:43 UTC 2015

Hi,

we have recently been plagued by this particular assertion
being triggered in the signer.  The logged message is:

Dec 11 15:13:52 xxxxx ods-signerd: signer/ixfr.c:230: part_print: assertion part->soamin failed

When this is logged, that's the last we hear from ods-signerd,
i.e. it exits.

Can someone familiar with this piece of code please explain what
problem this assertion might indicate?  The text in the log
message itself isn't very descriptive.  Looking at the code this
appears to be related to use of IXFR, but I can't figure out the
sequence of events which might trigger this problem, or where the
data parts would come from (DNS neighbor? Already-existing IXFR
log?)

Having assertions fire in long-running daemons in a normal
operational environment is a bug, plain and simple.

When this happens, if we try to restart the signer, it will
shortly thereafter exit again with the same message; I have then
to remove the tempoary files and push new zone content via notify
messages from the hidden master to set things up again.  So, this
time I have two sets of such files which I can supply to a
developer who would be willing to take a closer look (if indeed
the source of the data can be found in the files on disk).

Again, OpenDNSSEC version is 1.4.7 with the hopefully unrelated
changes discussed earlier, and pulling and pushing via zone
transfers to BIND 9.9.7-something.

Best regards,

- Håvard