[Opendnssec-user] kaspConnect() causes ods-enforcer brittleness

Berry A.W. van Halderen berry at nlnetlabs.nl
Wed Dec 9 11:59:48 UTC 2015

On 12/09/2015 11:30 AM, Petr Spacek wrote:
> On 8.12.2015 09:22, Havard Eidnes wrote:
>> This makes ods-enforcer brittle, provides no automatic error
>> recovery, and requires operator intervention to restart the
>> now-dead enforcer.
>>
>> Again, this is with OpenDNSSEC 1.4.7, using sqlite3.
>
> I confirm that I have seen the very same issue.
>
> BTW what is the purpose of home-grown lock around SQL database? I did not dig
> into it but I would somehow expect that SQL database can deal with access from
> multiple processes...

The database layer is being revamped in 2.0 (which is coming up soon
enough now) and will probably will undergo more changes.  Hard to dig
through all the historical decisions, but I know there was a wish not
to be dependent on the database offering transactions or concurrent
access.
Also with the DOA layer in place the locks could be necessary.

This is something that could very well be reconsidered (or should IMO).

With kind regards,
Berry van Halderen