[Opendnssec-user] How to calc new ZSK / KSK and pre-publish date

Javier Jiménez Huedo bodegax at gmail.com
Fri May 16 10:00:01 UTC 2014

Thanks Sion,

The information was very useful for my ;-)

However, something strange is happening with the rollover times:

KSK           active    2014-05-20 17:05:53 (retire)
KSK           publish   2014-05-19 10:47:20 (ready)

ZSK           retire    2014-05-18 16:02:20 (dead)
ZSK           active    2014-05-16 11:18:26 (retire)
ZSK           publish   2014-05-18 19:14:46 (ready)

ZSK active key goes to "retire" status before the new  ZSK key changes to
"ready" status…

Something similar happens with the KSK key.

I think the current active key must continue as "active" till the next key
can be "ready" ... Is that correct?

Why these inconsistencies appear?

I tried that new keys to be published several days before the rollover
takes place. The only way (I have found) to achieve that is by modifying
"PropagationDelay" parameter of the "zone" section for the ZSK and the
"Parent" for the KSK key.

Is it correct? Does exists any other way to do that?

Thank you very much