[Opendnssec-user] entropy source for SoftHSM

Alex Omgovitskij alex.dev.r at gmail.com
Wed May 14 12:05:47 UTC 2014

Hi,

The reason I'm looking into SoftHSM - it's free :). and SoftHSM in
connection with TRNG is cheaper, then real HSM.
Also according to
http://www.opendnssec.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/A-Review-of-Hardware-Security-Modules-Fall-2010.pdf
HSM key storage capacity is not large:
AEP Keyper: 8000 1024-bit RSA keys
Safenet Luna: 1200 2048-bit RSA keys
Thales nShield: Very limited on board NVRAM storage, only recommended if
legally required. Unlimited software key storage in the Security
World/Remote File System.
Utimaco CryptoServer: 5000 1024-bit key pairs per HSM, 1500 key pairs per
PKCS#11 token.

I'm not sure how many zones we will sign by the same keys (let's say we
have 100.000 zones to sign) - there are a lot of questions to answer still.
by the way - any recommendations?

Thus SoftHSM or SoftHSM + TRNG is a good choice for now, we can add TRNG
later or even add HSM later if required.
So the question still actual (to foresee future changes in hardware): is it
possible to use SoftHSM + TRNG?

Regards,
Alex