[Opendnssec-user] Key NOT ALLOCATED

Fred.Zwarts F.Zwarts at KVI.nl
Thu May 8 08:17:13 UTC 2014

I installed opendnssec 1.4.5 over an opendnssec 1.4.3 installation.

Now when I use the " ods-ksmutil key list --verbose" command I see lines
that I did not see with the previous version:

NOT ALLOCATED                   KSK           dsready   When required
(keypub)   2048    8           310a8e2e58cbafab7aa934e2a3fd8598  SoftHSM

and

NOT ALLOCATED                   KSK           dssub     waiting for ds-seen
(dspub)    2048    8           310a8e2e58cbafab7aa934e2a3fd8598  SoftHSM

The words "NOT ALLOCATED" are seen where normally the domain name appears.
I assume that NOT ALLOCATED means that it is not allocated for a domain.
I don't understand how a key that is not allocated for a domain can be in
the state dsready, or dssub.
Can somebody explain this?