[Opendnssec-user] distributed OpenDNSSEC (distributed database and HSM)

Jerry Lundström jerry at opendnssec.org
Tue Mar 4 13:23:40 UTC 2014

Hi Petr,

Very cool to hear that OpenDNSSEC will be used for this!

On 04 Mar 2014, at 13:59 , Petr Spacek <pspacek at redhat.com> wrote:

> OpenDNSSEC 2.x
> ==============
> Naturally, we want to do key maintenance in a distributed manner :-)
>
> The question is if you would accept patches adding support for LDAP backend to OpenDNSSEC 2.x and patches supporting distributed operation (mainly in the enforcer-ng).
>
> I have looked into git/enforcer-ng/src/protobuf-orm and it seems that everything is SQL-specific. Would you accept patches adding some abstraction to the database interface?

Yes the current interface is very SQLish, I can see a few places where you might be able to add another layer that would make a LDAP backend possible. Maybe you can supply a patch (or parts of a patch) so we can get a better view of what you want to do and discuss it further? Just a bit of a notice, we are currently discussing the usage of protobuf-orm and it may or may not be changed in the near future.

Have you looked at SoftHSMv2 (https://github.com/opendnssec/SoftHSMv2) ? Maybe make a LDAP backend for it would do for a distributed key management (just guessing).

> So the main question is:
> Would you accept patches for database backend abstraction and distributed behavior (in enforcer-ng)?

Of course, we recently moved all our software to GitHub in order to better handle submission of code.

Looking forward to your pull requests! :)

--
Jerry Lundström - OpenDNSSEC Developer
http://www.opendnssec.org/