[Opendnssec-user] 1.3 or 1.4?

Sara Dickinson sara at sinodun.com
Fri Sep 13 10:58:31 UTC 2013

On 12 Sep 2013, at 16:16, Dick Visser wrote:

> We have one Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 VM that runs Bind9.9 and ODS 1.3.8.
> I'd like to upgrade ODS because 1.3.8 is getting old.
> However, because the deb packages aren't available any more for Lucid
> I need to upgrade this VM first.
> But since I don't believe in OS upgrades, I'll grab a copy of my
> Ubuntu 12.04 template, so I'll effectively be reinstalling it.
> Since I'm reinstalling it anyway, I could pick 1.4.x instead of 1.3.x.
>
> So, what it recommended these days?
> 1.3, or 1.4?

Hi Dick,

Two considerations I suppose. First one is functionality. 1.4 is the latest and greatest on this score with most notably support for DNS Adapters. Other extra features over and above 1.3 are detailed here:

https://wiki.opendnssec.org/display/DOCS/New+in+OpenDNSSEC+1.4

The other consideration is support and maintenance. 1.3 is our LTS release whereas 1.4 is our Standard Release. Our policy is described in more here:

https://wiki.opendnssec.org/display/OpenDNSSEC/Release+Management+Policy#ReleaseManagementPolicy-Maintenanceofoldreleases

Note we patch all bug fixes back to both 1.3 and 1.4 however some minor enhancements may only go into 1.4.

Hope this helps

Sara.