[Opendnssec-user] Monitoring OpenDNSSEC

Jerry Lundström jerry at opendnssec.org
Wed Nov 6 15:28:53 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Volker Janzen <voja at voja.de> wrote:

> Can anyone tell what else should be monitored of the OpenDNSSEC system?
> E.g. running processes, PID-files or logfile content?

You can monitor the ods-enforcerd and ods-signerd processes, use the
"ods-signer running" and there should be a pid file somewhere (depend on
the OS or if you compiled yourself). You can also monitor the syslog for
the STATS line from ods-signerd and errors. The Enforcer will run once an
hour (or as often you configured it) and you could monitor that output and
that you get that each hour.

Is it possible to monitor the health of the softhsm?

I'm unsure what you want to monitor here, if there is a problem with the
HSM then the Enforcer and/or Signer will report that to the syslog. There
is "ods-hsmutil test <repository>" that you might be able to run once a day
or something but it does not guarantee that the repository works when it
needs to later on.

Hope this helps some.

--
Jerry Lundström - OpenDNSSEC Developer