[Opendnssec-user] Our unsigned zones change every 5 minutes - will they automatically be signed?

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Aug 29 13:27:56 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 08/29/2013 03:03 PM, Patrik Wallström wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2013, at 2:41 PM, Harald A. Irmer <Harald.Irmer at KIT.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ondřej,
>>
>> thanks a lot!
>>
>> On 29.08.2013 14:22, Ondřej Caletka wrote:
>>> Hi Harald,

>>> After update of an unsigned zone, call 'ods-signer sign <zone>'
>>> everything else is automatic.
>> I would be very pleased If I had not to sit there watching when a
>> unsigned zone is updated because some admin has made a change maybe at
>> 7am in the morning or 22pm or on sundays. And then me enter 'ods-signer
>> sign <zone>' Haha! Is there any hope that unsigned zone changes will be
>> recognized maybe via BIND notify messages and signing be done
>> automatically? VERY important for me.
>
> You can automate this with either a Makefile or by using a hook in you version control system (that you should probably use anyway).

If you configure OpenDNSSEC to be a zone transfer client, e.g. the
signer reads the unsigned zones by doing an AXFR or IXFR, then it will
also handle any NOTIFY packets the master sends after a zone update.
(You are going to need version 1.4 or higher).

If you let OpenDNSSEC work on unsigned zone files, you can follow
Patrik's advice.

Best regards,
  Matthijs