[Opendnssec-user] DelegationSignerSubmitCommand key identification

Daniel Salzman daniel.salzman at nic.cz
Mon May 14 13:51:04 UTC 2012

Yes, but:
- Algorithm for key_id computation is very simple and collision space is
huge.
- In case of automatic KSK rollover it is necessary to have certainty of
uniqueness. Use of CKA_ID is pure solution.
- RFC 4034 says:
"However, it is essential to note that the key tag is not a unique
identifier.  It is theoretically possible for two distinct DNSKEY RRs
to have the same owner name, the same algorithm, and the same key
tag.  The key tag is used to limit the possible candidate keys, but
it does not uniquely identify a DNSKEY record.  Implementations MUST
NOT assume that the key tag uniquely identifies a DNSKEY RR."

Dan