[Opendnssec-user] SmartCard-HSM as key store for DNSSEC

Rickard Bellgrim rickard at opendnssec.org
Fri Mar 30 08:33:59 UTC 2012

> We've designed a secure key store called SmartCard-HSM that implements
> secure generation, storage and use of asymmetric keys in a CC evaluated
> smart card (see flyer at [1]).

What CC Protection Profile have you evaluated against? Is there any
plan to also be FIPS 140-2 certified? Many customers also have
requirements on the FIPS level.

> In a next step we want to support key replication among a cluster of
> SmartCard-HSMs in order to implement load balancing and key backup. We
> have a draft concept for it, but would like to cross-check with actual
> user requirements in the DNSSEC area.

You need to have a mechanism where you can export the key from one
card to an other, but also have it wrapped with an encryption key. The
initial trust between two cards must be authorized by the Security
Officer.

>From the user perspective, a cluster must act in the same way as a
single card. The key must e.g. be replicated before the user think it
can use it. This is so that the user does not get load balanced to a
card which is missing the key once signing.