[Opendnssec-user] Ubuntu 10.10 - Signing issues

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Mar 5 10:34:21 UTC 2012

Hi Derek,

On 03/02/2012 12:12 AM, Derek Brodeur wrote:
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> I didn't think I had, I thought it automatically did that when I
> used
>
> ods-signer sign example.com <http://example.com>

OpenDNSSEC will never write anything to the unsigned zonefile.

> I removed the DNSKEY from the unsigned file and did
>
> ods-ksmutil setup
>
> and then
>
> ods-signer sign example.com <http://example.com>
>
> it seemed to get rid of the error but..
>
> I am still receiving the SOA differs error, I understand it tries
> to increment that number but I thought that was automatic... even
> if I increment it myself, it still gives me the error?

The first time OpenDNSSEC signs a zone, it wants to ensure that the
serial of the signed zone increments the serial of the unsigned zone.
This way, secondary servers will be able to pick up the changes that
come with signing.

If OpenDNSSEC is unable to increment the serial with the settings from
the policy (in kasp.xml), it will give a warning. In your case, the
unixtime is not incrementing the inbound serial:

	1330558281 <= 2011022003

> What should I be changing, do I need to download a different time
> package or something?

To fix this, make sure that the serials in your unsigned zone files
match the type of serial used in the policy. In your case: unixtime.

Or change your policy so that you will use datecounter as serial.

Best regards,
  Matthijs