[Opendnssec-user] ods-signer taking a very long time to complete

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Mon Jul 23 18:03:28 UTC 2012

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Matthijs Mekking wrote:

> When issuing a "sign zone" command, the signer will go to a couple of
> locks:
>
> - - zonelist lock (zl_lock): to look up the zone. zonelist unlock.
>
> - - zone lock (zone_lock), schedule lock (schedule_lock): to reschedule
> the zone task. schedule unlock, zone unlock.
>
> The zl_lock and schedule_lock shouldn't be locked that long.
>
> The zone_lock can take up an considerate amount of time: It is used
> when signing the zone (read in file, update nsec records, sign zone,
> write out file). Could it be that you issue the command during the
> time the signer is busy with these tasks? How long does it normally
> take to sign the zone (from reading in to writing out)?

the total working signing process takes about 5 minutes. We've seen
the lock for 20-40 minutes.

> If this sounds plausible, I think we can fix this by splitting the
> lock: One for updating the task and zone , one for fiddling with the
> zone contents.

Should I be able to see if it is in this state by the presence of tmp/*
files? Or is the lock logic perhaps somehow using/stalling on those
tmp/* leftovers? (I'm not sure what is cause and effect here)

I could do some testing for you if you have a patch (though there will
prob be some delays due to IETF84)

Paul