[Opendnssec-user] Warning to all EPEL 6 users (Red Hat / Fedora / CentOS etc) (fwd)

Sara (Sinodun) sara at sinodun.com
Thu Jul 12 10:51:01 UTC 2012

>> Unfortunately an alpha release of 1.4.0 (1.4.0a1) has been pushed to
>> Fedora 16 / 17 and EPEL 6 stable repositories [1].
>
> Note these were pushed months ago.

An update on this from the OpenDNSSEC team perspective.

The decision to push the1.4.0a1 release into EPEL was made
by the package maintainer, against the advice of the OpenDNSSEC team. The ODS
team does not consider this (or any alpha release) production ready and does not
recommend the use of alphas in production environments. A discussion as to how to
resolve the disagreement with regard to the version of ODS currently in EPEL is ongoing.

We encourage users to test alpha releases in controlled test environments and value the
feedback we get. We are also very pleased that an effort is underway to include
OpenDNSSEC in EPEL.

However our advice remains that only the official, stable releases should be used in
production and we are working towards an official release of 1.4.0.

>> An upgrade can be devastating to your system, wipe configurations, so
>> I would advise against it until this matter is resolved.
>
> As rpm never wipes config files, I looked into this and found that
> there is a bug in the opendnssec.spec.in file shipped in trunk:
>
> %files
> %defattr(-,opendnssec,opendnssec)
> %config %{_sysconfdir}/opendnssec/*

Unfortunately this file had not been updated in some time and anyone who had used
this as the basis of a spec file would indeed have suffered from this issue. In future
we will not ship a spec file, but leave it to the  expert packager maintainers to develop
such files as appropriate to their package.

Sara.