[Opendnssec-user] Some issues with OpenDNSSEC 1.3.0 trunk

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at NLnetLabs.nl
Fri Feb 25 09:39:11 UTC 2011

On 02/22/2011 05:47 AM, Sebastian Castro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm aware is a little bit too soon to expect a functional version, but
> based on the current trunk version I'd like to report:
>
> - It seems this version is a memory hog. Running on a system with a 1-GB
> memory limit per process, ods-signerd reaches the limit quite fast
> (~30min) when signing a set of zones that includes two relatively large
> ones [*].

I have made some changes to trunk that tunes down the memory usage quite
a bit.

> - Also when a big zone is being signed, we get messages
>
> [fifo] unable to push item: max cap reached
>
> by thousands... then syslog starts complaining afterwards.
>
> ods-signerd: last message repeated 1850109 times
>
> When reaches this point, the signerd doesn't make any progress and has
> to be killed. We are currently testing with a FIFOQ_MAX_COUNT = 50000

The log message is tuned down to a log_debug level (Since we know that
this might happen, it should not be a warning).

> - In a few ocassions, we have ended with empty signed zones. A
> 'ods-signer clear', 'ods-signer sign' has helped.

This is strange, and should not happen. However, the trunk goes through
a lot of changes and might therefore be a bit unstable. But, please
notify us if it happens again, preferably with at a more detailed level.

Thanks for your report.

Best regards,
  Matthijs