[Opendnssec-user] Support of old releases

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Thu Nov 25 08:56:51 UTC 2010

On 24/11/10 17:23, Rickard Bellgrim wrote:

> On 24 nov 2010, at 16.41, Ondřej Surý wrote:
>
>> You should support OpenDNSSEC releases found in major distros. Next stable Debian will have 1.1.3.
>
> v1.1 will get deprecated 6 months after the v1.4 release. A wild guess would be that v1.1 is deprecated by the end of 2011. Would that be ok?
>
> What are the release cycles for the major distros?

This is a recurring topic on some software user mailing lists where
'old' versions are included with major distros. Distros that pop up from
time to time include Debian and CentOS (not sure about their release
schedule).

For example: debian (stable) includes dovecot 10.0.15, which was
released in july 2008. Upstream released 1.1, 1.2 and 2.0 trees in the
meantime. Config support questions are answered, but bugfixes for
anything older than 1.1 are politely rejected.

I think the message should be: upstream chooses support scheme. If a
distro willingly decides to keep software in their repo that is
abandoned by upstream, they should support it themselves. This is what
Redhat c.s. do.

Just my 2 cents (not trying to start any flamewar :>)

	Tom